What we've Heard: IN-TOWN TRAILS
Please take a moment to consider if you agree with these comments.
The following information summarizes the comments we have received from stakeholders and the public concerning Manitouwadge's in-town trails.
Walking and Hiking
- Perry Lake Trail and the Fitness Trail are popular places to walk and snowshoe. Unfortunately, the beginning of these trails are often flooded in the spring and even into the summer. Surface improvements such as boardwalk construction could make these trail accessible all year around.
- It would be great if the Fitness Trail could be extended further along the lake.
- Local trails lack longer distance, intermediate hiking trails. It would be great to have a 16km hike near town.
- Improve connection between Kiwissa Ski Trail and Gaug Lake to CBC Tower to create a loop
- Enhance old fitness trail with ecological and historical interpretive signage. This trail has interesting ecology and geology. Signage content could be created by the elementary forest school and changed regularly. A well design outdoor display case would be needed so that information could be swapped in and out. There is good potential for land-based education funding.
- Put trash receptacles at location with dog poop bags. We should have these at all interior trail areas including pedestrian ways.
- Add night lighting to some of the cross-country ski trails so they can be enjoyed even when the sun goes down early in the winter. This way people can go skiing after work.
- Northern Ski Club needs a new sign and funding for gravel in order to reduce maintenance burden
- Some trail clearing maintenance along some of the Kiwissa cross-country ski trails would make hiking in the summer more enjoyable and accessible
- Expand the use of the ski hill and chalet in the off-season to support more user groups.
- Develop ski hill as a centre for mountain biking. This would include intermediate trails, technical elements, gradual up routes, a pump track and and maybe some dirt jumps. The chalet could be a source of revenue for the town during warmer seasons. Mountain bikers will make the drive for something new or different. Due to its topography, Manitouwadge has potential as a mountain bike destination compared to other locations. The ski lift could even be used in the summer for bikes if there was enough demand.
- The Fitness Trail could be improved for mountain biking.
Signage and Wayfinding
- Recreation facilities should be better linked in terms of signage and circulation
- A staging area for both beach and snowshoe trails would be nice. For instance a trailhead with signage, seating, parking and fire pit could developed at/near Lions Beach for use by snowshoers, hikers and paddlers.
- Signage along the highway to notify people of the ski hill and other attractions
- Signs must be bear proof (metal)
- Enns Hill could use signage off of the hydro corridor
Please take a moment to consider if you agree or have additional comments. Would you get out skiing more if there were lights for night skiing?
Let's start a conversation! Please share your thoughts and opinions in the comment box bellow.