What we've heard: REGIONAL TRAILS
Please take a moment to consider if you agree with these comments.
The following information summarizes the comments we have received from stakeholders and the public concerning regional trails.
Snowmobile and ATV Trails
- Survey Response: Survey respondents rated the importance of each of the following improvements to snowmobiling and ATV trails near Manitouwadge. Improved trail clearing procedures, was rated the most important followed by signage, online maps and connections to other towns.
- Regular clearing of the rail trail could be contracted out and done with forestry equipment rather than volunteers
- Develop and support snowmobile routes between towns
Waterfall and Rapids Trails
- These trails are not very accessible for people without ATVs.
- Manitou Falls could be developed as a tourist destination with interpretive signage, an improved trail map and parking area.
- Visiting RC-17 used to be very popular but now it is unaccessible
- Black River has great potential as a paddlers’ destination.
- Foch River has good potential as a paddlers’ destination.
- Summer Student Employment - If funding becomes available, high school students with outdoors skills could be employed by the Municipality to maintain the campsites, portages, and establish new routes.
- If Manitouwadge is going to become a home-base for canoe and kayak exploration, then canoe route maps and rental gear outfitting will need to be improved.
- Survey Response: "campsite cleanup and signage", "portage cleanup and signage", and "online mapping and resources" were rated as very important, and as equally important as "canoe route improvements".
- Reestablish lodging at old campsite near Turner's Northwoods to offer an increase in visitor lodging. This site has existing infrastructure and a sand beach.
- Explore connections to the Trans-Canada Trail (now called the Great Trail).
- Explore connection between rail trail and Bearhead Lake
Help us fill in the gaps! The consultant team wants to know:
- Where are the best ATV trails located?
- Do most snowmobile trails double as ATV trails?
- Where are the ATV jamboree loop trails located?
- Do any of the Waterfall and Rapids Trails have well marked trailheads?
Please take a moment to consider if you agree or have additional comments. Would you be pleased if regional trail improvements were focused on the Black River and Foch River canoe routes? What improvements would you like to see made to the Manitou Falls site?
Let's start a conversation! Please share your thoughts and opinions in the comment box bellow.